Welcome to another contribution to the wildly popular Top Ten Tuesday hosted by The Broke and The Bookish. This week they ask us to share lists on the following:
July 4: Patriotic Quotes
The ladies over at The Broke and The Bookish are taking some much deserved time away from their Top Ten Tuesday list but that doesn’t mean we have to. If inspiration strikes me over the next few weeks I’m going to continue to share lists here at Read What I Like.
This week since Tuesday is our Independence Day here in The United States I thought it would be fitting to share some patriotic (ish) quotes that I enjoy. Warning I am a very left-leaning progressive liberal so these quotes are going to reflect my current thoughts about our all Republican lead government. Not trying to start a fight but just keep in mind any right-wing readers that you bitched and moaned over every single thing Obama did for eight years so suck it up and deal with a little criticism. Resistance was built into the constitution and is one of the most patriotic things a citizen can do besides vote.
A bonus quote for after my preachy intro there: Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ~Bernard M. Baruch
Ten patriotic quotes to inspire resistance to tyranny.
- “God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is hopeless” ~Chester Nimitz
- “Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth” ~Albert Einstein
- “It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority” ~Benjamin Franklin
- “Never be afraid to raise your voice for honesty and truth and compassion against injustice and lying and greed. If people all over the world…would do this, it would change the earth.” ~ William Faulkner
- “People shouldn’t be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people” ~ Alan Moore, V for Vendetta
- “I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical.” ~ Thomas Jefferson
- “No Matter that patriotism is too often the refuge of scoundrels. Dissent, rebellion, and all-around hell-raising remain the true duty of patriots.” ~ Barbara Ehrenreich
- “The greatest purveyor of violence in the world: My own Government, I can not be Silent.” ~ Martin Luther King Jr.
- “Disobedience, in the eyes of anyone who has read history, is man’s original virtue. It is through disobedience that progress has been made, through disobedience and through rebellion.” ~Oscar Wilde
- “Until they became conscious they will never rebel, and until after they have rebelled they cannot become conscious.” ~George Orwell, 1984
Have a happy and safe Fourth of July! Happy Independence Day.