Welcome to another contribution to the wildly popular Top Ten Tuesday hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl. This week she asks us to share lists on the following:
May 22: Best Character Names
I’m going to put a spin on this week’s list and pick some of the most challenging or unique characters names from the books that I’ve read. Most of these I have no clue how to pronounce.
Ten Unique Character Names
- Elphaba: I’ve read the book, I’ve seen the musical and I still can’t pronounce the name.
- Myfanwy: Yep I’m not even going to attempt this one. Listening to the audiobook helped but when the character herself comments on how awkward the name is then perhaps it’s not you.
- Xhexania: Just what the hell. I don’t even know where to start with this one. Most of the time Ward simply calls her Xhex but even that is little help to me. So her name will forever be one I simply read without hearing in my head. Now Ward has a history of unique spellings for words that become names but this one was the most challenging I could find in her series.
- Aisling: To me this looks like it might be more common name than the others on the list. Still can’t pronounce it. Sorry.
- Reyes: I’m including Reyes on the list only because I was mispronouncing it in my head through the entire series. It wasn’t until I started the audiobook that I learned I had it all wrong.
- Arcturus: I don’t remember much about this character but his name fits the bill for this week’s list.
- Zeitjager: Ms. Kenyon is ever so helpful and lists her characters in alphabetical order on her website. There were sever I thought of choosing but this one has two little dots above the a and that always throws me for a loop when trying to pronounce a word. Other possible contenders were Drakari and Garafyn but I wanted to limit this list to one selection per author.
- Celaena: Far too many vowels for such a long name…
- Gallowglass: Now this name isn’t necessarily difficult to pronounce but I always thought it an odd name. Loved the character though.
- Hermione: Thanks to the movies and the general popularity of the Harry Potter books this name has become quite popular. When I first read the books, however, this name was quite challenging for me.
Another week, another list. What are some of your favorite or least favorite character names? Feel free to leave them in the comments or links to your own list.