Welcome to another contribution to the wildly popular Top Ten Tuesday hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl. This week she asks us to share lists on the following:
December 11: Freebie
I wanted to do something different this week. So after studying my Goodreads account for about 20 minutes from different angles and came up with this. I’m going to go to Goodreads recommendations based upon my read shelf and find the ten weirdest recommendations they came up with based upon books I’ve read.
Ten Weird Goodreads Recommendations.
- This title was suggested to me because I read Ready Player One. The cover is, to be honest awful, but it actually has some great reviews by a few people I follow. Not sure I’m going to read it as it seems to be about time travel (historical) and computer programming. They get bonus points for a clever title though.
- This was suggested to me because I read Old Man’s War and The Long Earth. It is classified as steampunk science fiction dystopian… The synopsis sounds a little heavy but a lot of people I follow have added it to their to-read shelf, of course not many of them have actually read it yet. I’m not sure this one is my style, I think I’ll pass.
- This was recommended to me because I read The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend. This is what happens when you read something out of your normal repertoire and add it to your Goodreads account. I’m not usually a fan of contemporary romance but books about books might be a good fit. I do like that it was written by a man (not enough romance is) and the synopsis sounds like it would make a cute movie. I don’t know maybe I’ll give this one a try or recommend it to the library.
- This was recommended to me because I read The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet, Saturn Run, and Sleeping Giants. Another case of awful cover but an interesting synopsis. I do like that it is billed as LGBT which I don’t read nearly enough diversity in my books. No one I follow has read it but I might give it a try sometime. It is an older book which might be the reason for its cover but if it does tackle LGBT topics then bonus points for it since it was written in 1998.
- This book was recommended to me because I read a ton of Kerrelyn Sparks books. This tells me it is probably fun and chick lit. It is billed as a cozy mystery which I’m not usually a reader of and if this one had a paranormal element like Ms. Sparks book did then I might have given it a chance. As it is this was written in 1991 and just too far out from what I typically read.
- This book was recommended to me because of all the Stephen King I read in my misguided youth… Just no. I am not a fan of horror or anthologies. I’ll pass. Also, it was written in 1984! How about some current recommendations Goodreads.
- This was recommended to me because I read A Close and Common Orbit. This caught my eye because the cover was so interesting. It is billed as steampunk science fiction, historical/alternate history. The reviews are kind of meh, and the synopsis goes over my head a bit. It is set in Africa and looks to be a great choice to read if you are looking to add diversity to your reading rotation. I did add this to my to-read shelf. I want to give it a try at least.
- This was recommended to me because I own Weekend Knitting. I use Goodreads to keep track of my home library and I add all the books I own because I don’t want to buy them again while I’m out shopping. I have actually knit several patterns in Weekend Knitting and this looks like it might have some cute projects in it too. It is always nice to have some ideas of items you can knit up quickly to give as a gift. Good call Goodreads.
- I’m sure this was recommended to me because I have a couple of canning books on my read shelf, see explanation above. It looks cute but I’m not into canning much anymore I tend to freeze more. Still, the cover looks cute, but I don’t think I’ll read it.
- This was recommended to me because I read a lot of paranormal romance (too many books to list). Again a case of the cover just doesn’t catch my eye and is not at all similar to the books linked to the recommendation. Lots of people I follow give it high marks and the reviews and synopsis sound promising. I might have to give this one a chance.
Well, there you have my list for this week. What are some of the stranger recommendations you have received from Goodreads? Also, feel free to leave a link to your freebie list in the comments!