Welcome to another contribution to the wildly popular Top Ten Tuesday hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl. This week she asks us to share lists on the following:
April 3: Characters I liked That Were In Non-Favorite/Disliked Books
This week’s list might be a challenge. I’m going to have to rely heavily on my reviews and I often leave out names. Also If a book isn’t working for me I DNF and those titles usually don’t even get a review. So I’m going to take a look at my one and two-star review books and see if I can find some titles where I liked the characters but maybe not the books itself. Wish me luck
Ten Good Characters in Crappy Books.
- Paige Mahoney is the main character in this series and I truly liked book one but book two was a bit slow and a supporting character that I liked better than Paige was missing for much of the story.
- Acheron is the only thing that saved this book for me. I was not a fan of this one at all. Acheron doesn’t have big part in this book but it ended up being the only sections that I cared about.
- Jace Valchek is the main character in this series and I enjoy her and her smart-mouthed partner Charlie as well as the chemistry between Jace and the head of her department. The problem for me with this book was that those two supporting characters were missing for much of the book. I need that dynamics for this world to work for me. I set down book four for the same reason half the characters I love are MIA.
- I like most of the characters in this world but my favorites are Tyrion and Arya as well as Daenerys and up until this book I had enjoyed the series. This book just pushed me past my limit of tolerance. Nothing happened in this and the previous book. Nothing. We followed characters as they were moved around a board and nothing happens. I personally don’t care if he ever finishes the series because I’m done.
- The main couple in this book was a struggle for me but I found the bad-guys were really well written. Then there was an appearance of Lucian who is one of my favorites in the series.
- I wish I could give you the names of the characters I liked in this book but I don’t remember it much. I did like the lead but the story felt off or two short.
- Thomas and Eddie were two characters I liked but the book took a graphic violent turn that I couldn’t stomach and I ended up DNF this book.
- The characters were good in this book but there was a major shift in tone of the story that didn’t quite work for me.
- Beezle is a sidekick in this series, a gargoyle I believe. Overall I was disappointed by the first book in this series but mentioned that I like that character.
- In the review, I mentioned that Elijah and Lindsay’s friendship was part of the reason I even finished this book. I was tempted to DNF the book but must have kept reading for them.
This list was a challenge I often put the books out of my memory when I don’t like them or simply don’t finish them. What characters from poorly written books have you enjoyed.