Welcome to another contribution to the wildly popular Top Ten Tuesday hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl. This week she asks us to share lists on the following:
March 13: Books That Surprised Me (in a good or bad way)
For this week’s list, I’m not going to stick to either all good or all bad surprises. I’m just going to select ten books that surprised me in some way and then tell you why.
Ten books that surprised me.
- This was the All Iowa Reads book selection for 2017 and it is on the list because I’m actually surprised that I liked it. Usually, I hate whatever book they pick for Iowans to read. But this one was interesting, had a mystery, and wasn’t bogged down trying to be smarter than its readers.
- I had this book on my TBR list forever before reading it in 2016. It is on this week’s list because while I did enjoy it I’m surprised I haven’t read the next books yet and have little to no interest in doing so. Maybe I didn’t care for it as much as I thought…
- This book is on the list because it surprised me by how freaking awesome it is! I picked it up to review shortly before I got into my current science fiction kick so maybe I can attribute some of my more recent reads to this book.
- What surprised me about this book is how relatable it was for me. I’m not a parent, never wanted to be a parent yet I found this book HILARIOUS. Giggled my whole way through it.
- I picked this title up for review when it was the only title that looked remotely interesting. Mainly for its choose your own adventure format. But I ended up reading it cover to cover (like a normal book) and loved reading about NPH’s life.
- what surprised me about this classic is that I enjoyed it. I usually don’t. It inspired me at the time to try other Twain works but I have yet to do so. Still, I loved this story.
- Another case of surprised I enjoyed it. I was doing some book challenge where I needed to read a Pulitzer winner.
- Fully expected to hate this one but ended up loving it as well. It wiped the floor with my emotions.
- My least favorite book by my favorite author. I truly did not like this story.
- This book I just found shocking. To learn of what goes on in some of the families in Saudi Arabia blew my mind at the time.
Another week another list. Feel free to share links to your surprising lists in the comments!