Welcome to another contribution to the wildly popular Top Ten Tuesday hosted by The Broke and The Bookish. This week they ask us to share lists on the following:
October 31: Halloween Freebie!
Hmm… I can do whatever I want for Halloween… I’m not into thrillers. I don’t do scary. I’m not a big fan of the holiday (sorry). So I think I will simply pick 10 books that were either painful to read, I dnf, or simply didn’t like for this week’s list. I will try to be nice but might get snarky. No book is going to work for every single person that reads it so keep that in mind (looking at you authors) so if one of these titles looks interesting by all means give it a try, maybe you will love it!
Ten books that were just awful to read…
- Don’t hate me but I loath Tolkien. This was the most boring male-centric tale I have ever read. I tried though but by the end, I didn’t give a damn if they ever destroyed the ring or not.
- I liked the first book but gave up this one near the end. Unlikable characters and way too slow.
- DNF this one pretty quick. Too dark and when you start diving into child molestation I’m out.
- Not really a science fiction more of a religious dogma piece. No thanks.
- This was just too dark, too creepy, too not for me. DNF.
- I tried with this one twice. Once in print and once in audio and just couldn’t get into it. Which is a shame since I enjoyed Ready Player One.
- Another don’t hate me but I can’t stand this series. I suffered through three books before deciding I really don’t care to know what it is like to be in a 12-year-old boy’s mind.
- I’m not a fan of gawking at train wrecks… Also, drowning kittens. I’m out.
- This one I wanted to enjoy but the insufferably difficult name of the lead character and not finding any character I actually liked made me put this one down.
- This book is not what it was billed as. I thought I was getting a charming NF read about the history of cats and humans and what I ended up with was a depressing textbook and an author that sounds like she doesn’t like cats.
Another week, another list. Sorry, some of the comments are so brief but most of them I didn’t read enough of to have much to say about them.