Welcome to another contribution to the wildly popular Top Ten Tuesday hosted by The Broke and The Bookish. This week they ask us to share lists on the following:
September 26: Ten Books That Feature Characters That live or work in Space
I’ve been on a science fiction kick lately so I decided for this open-ended topic I would pick ten characters that either live or work in space. They might be human or alien or living on another planet but all of them will spend most of their story not on Earth. After all with all the crap going on right now space sounds like an ideal place to be despite its inherent danger….
Ten Characters That Live or Work in Space
- Going to start with probably my favorite space character that I have. Spock. He was my first crush, and was the first alien I was introduced to growing up. He remains one of my favorites and I often find myself longing for his cool, calm, detached logical facade. Because we should all know by now that Vulcans do have emotions they have simply learned to control them.
- John Perry from Old Man’s War. Here is what I said about him in the review: “The characters made this story, getting to know them and grow with them and grieve them. Took my breath away at the end. John is, of course, the main character in this story but also my favorite.”
- Jamie Allenby in this fairly recent release is an interesting character. She is far from perfect and faces a great internal battle for much of the book to overcome her past. This is a science fiction story for those that want more of a character driven story than a hard-core science fiction.
- This is tough story to pick just one character from as it is the ensemble cast that makes this story great. If I had to pick just one I would have to say Rosemary Harper was in my top three.
- Jazz Bashara is the main character in the upcoming release of Andy Weir’s next book. I’m not going to say much more as I don’t want to spoil anything for anyone but I enjoyed her character quite a bit.
- Not the latest release in this Kenyon series but the last one I’ve read and the only book in The League series that I’ve given five stars to. Danger is the type of character I love from Ms. Kenyon. She spend countless books making us hate him only to have him redeemed in his book. This was a great read!
- Another instance of a great ensemble cast to pick from. I’m going to pick Marvin from this story and mainly for the movie version of the character. Who doesn’t love a depressed paranoid AI.
- I read this before I was writing reviews and it is a toss-up between the two lead characters as to which I enjoyed more. For the sake of the list I’m going to pick Amy because why the hell not, its a good name ;). (actually I’ve never been particularly fond of my name…)
- It has been a while since I read this one but I’m going to step out of my norm for the list and pick the character Mohawk as a favorite from this story. Partially because he was mentioned in the review as one of my favorites and I do remember being rather fond of him.
- I tried really hard to not put this book on the list. I didn’t want more than one book by an author or from a series/franchise but I just couldn’t do it. I’ve simply not read enough science fiction yet. Then there is the fact that Mark Watney is an amazing character. I loved so much about him! His sarcasm, inventiveness, intelligence, wit, persistence! He will remain one of my favorite characters and stories for years to come.
Well there you have my list this week. What characters that live or work in space do you love that I haven’t met yet? Feel free to leave book suggestions in the comments! Wrote your own TTT list? Leave that there too for everyone to go check out! Happy Reading~