Welcome to another contribution to the wildly popular Top Ten Tuesday hosted by The Broke and The Bookish. This week they ask us to share lists on the following:
September 5: Ten Books I Struggled to Get Into But Ended Up Loving or Ten Books That Were A Chore To Get Through or Ten Books I’ve Most Recently Put Down
I decided to take a slightly longer break from Top Ten Tuesday than the ladies at The Broke and The Bookish. I also seemed to take a break from reading and blogging but I’m back this September and thought this week was a fitting TTT post as I’ve DNF a ton of books over the last few months, most of them audio books. So listed below are 10 books that I just couldn’t get into and decided to put down.
Ten books that I just couldn’t finish.
- I’m both surprised and disappointed to find a John Scalzi book on this list. I just did not care for his latest release and ended up giving it a much longer try than I do most books I DNF. I think I made it well over 150 pages, maybe even over 200. I’m too lazy to look it up right now. I just came to a point where I said to myself if this wasn’t an author you like would you be struggling to read this or would you have moved on by now. The answer was pretty simple I wouldn’t have continued past page 50 so I returned it to the library and moved on to greener pastures.
- This is one of the many audio books that I have DNFed. The title drew me in but I was quickly turned off by the text. Not usually a fan of NF anyway and this book just seemed obnoxious to me. So I returned it pretty quick.
- This was a book talk pick for my library. My boss really enjoyed it and had hoped to get a group together to go watch the movie when it comes to a local theater. I will not be joining them. I made it to page 38 and when the dad bags up a bunch of kittens and throws them into a water reservoir I was out. I just can’t. That was horrible and I don’t want to read about people who would do such a thing. I don’t care how fucked up their lives or how interesting they might be. That. Was. Horrible.
- I was recommended this book as one to try for a graphic novel. So I decided to inter-library loan it recently and decided it was not for me. I couldn’t find a character to latch on to and what makes a graphic novel interesting is finding clues and deriving plot from the illustrations and I simply don’t pay attention to them. I read the dialog and then every once and a while go back and absorb the pictures. I think I’ll stick to regular novels…
- A review book that I requested and thought might be interesting. I tried it and it got a little too preachy for my taste. DNF.
- I’ve wanted to try this book for ages. It was finally my turn at the audio book version and made it through a good chunk and decided it wasn’t for me. Too religious and not enough science. I actually don’t see how it is a science fiction title. In my opinion, it is straight fantasy set on another planet. No science involved in what I read.
- I’ve DNF this book twice now. Once in print and once in audio format. It is definitely not for me. I did enjoy Ready Player One though.
- This was a review book that I don’t remember much about besides it failed to capture my attention.
- Another audio book that didn’t work for me didn’t remember much beyond that.
- This one I’m fairly disappointed in. I thought it would be more interest but ended up simply being weird. Maybe if I had more background with the radio show it would have worked better.
Well, there is my list for the week. Any titles on there that you enjoyed? Feel free to share in the comments but it probably won’t mean they make it back on to my reading list.