Welcome to another contribution to the wildly popular Top Ten Tuesday hosted by The Broke and The Bookish. This week they ask us to share lists on the following:
May 9: Ten Things On Our Reading Wishlist
This week’s list is fairly appropriate for me as I am once again longing for a great new series to dive into. So this week I am simply going to share ten aspects of a story that I think will scratch my reading itch.
Ten book characteristics I want in my next great read.
- Great Setting: I would LOVE a great setting, that I’m familiar with, for my next great read. I love it when the location is almost like another character in the book because if I’ve been there I can totally place myself in the world so much easier. Plus it is almost like you have a fun inside track to the world you are reading. Locations I’m currently seeking; Chicago, Iowa, Istanbul, Bulgaria, Minnesota.
- Not too technical but still accurate: One thing I loved about The Martian was all the accurate science involved in telling the story. I would love for my next science fiction read to be like that but dumbed down enough that I can get most of it.
- Sex but not too much sex: I am an unashamed reader of romance and I like the steamy parts. BUT that doesn’t mean I want the characters to be constantly jumping each other’s bones. I want a good plot too. So I want some sex but am willing to give that up for a better plot.
- Witty Dialog: Some of my favorite series came with smart-ass characters that were quick with a one-liner. So I would love my next great series to have a little sass in the dialog.
- Fun Sidekick: I don’t mind a story that focuses all the attention on the two key characters but when you throw in an amazing supporting cast then the book is usually even better.
- Alpha Male: Goes along with #3. In books, I don’t mind a strong alpha male that has a bit of caveman mentality. Usually, it is a great premise for hijinks as the strong female drives him up the wall. Plus I kind of enjoy seeing them get schooled when the female shows them they are just as capable as they are.
- Alpha Female: Part of the reason I don’t care for historical romance is I’m not a fan of weak females. Sorry, I know it is probably a stereotype but too often the plot in those books revolves around a woman’s role in society. Not interested. I want a female that is equal to her male counterparts. I don’t mind them being physically weaker than the males but I don’t want the entire book to be about saving the female from danger. I want her to get her hands dirty and kick some ass too.
- Realistic love: Now I am pretty accepting of instant romance. I usually don’t find it annoying in paranormal or urban fantasy books where you already have to suspend reality to enjoy the plot. That doesn’t mean I don’t want some challenges for my main couple to overcome. They need to work for their H.E.A. too.
- Good Vs. Evil: I love sinking my teeth into a good battle of good vs evil. Part of why I enjoy dystopian books when we aren’t currently living in a dystopian society…
- Plot Twists: To finish off my list I would love for my next read to have some great plot twists that I don’t see coming. Not too difficult as I usually don’t figure things out.
There you have what I am looking for in my next great read if you know of any science fiction, urban fantasy, or paranormal romance that fits the bill or comes close feel free to share in the comments! No YA, please.