Welcome to another contribution to the wildly popular Top Ten Tuesday hosted by The Broke and The Bookish. This week they ask us to share lists on the following:
March 7: On hiatus so I made my own again.
Top Ten Tuesday continues to be on hiatus this week so I have decided to think up my own again this week.
Ten Reading Rules I Follow
- Challenges: At first challenges sounded like fun. I found a couple that I wanted to participate in and discovered that for me they suck the fun right out of reading as I am a mood reader and need to be in the mood for what I am reading.
- DNF: My standard rule for did not finishing a book is 50 pages. If I am not into a story by page 50 I move on. I have recently decided that I need a DNF rule for audio books and for that format I will give it an hour to catch me.
- Audio: I have decided that I will use audio books to explore books outside my usual reading taste. I have also decided to listen to audio books when I exercise and do chores instead of music.
- Shelving: There is only one way to properly shelve books. Pay attention. Left to right, top to bottom, alphabetized by author’s last name keeping series in reading order. Don’t make me come and reorganize your stacks.
- Environment: I am easily distracted so I need silence when reading. I have banished ticking clocks, noisy animals, and have been known to wear ear plugs when my husband is home to shut the world out so I can read.
- Buying: If a book is under a dollar then I will pick it up guilt free, most of the books on my to-read case at home are cheap books I picked up while thrifting or at library book sales. I do make the effort to buy the latest releases from my favorite authors, however, even if I don’t always read them until the next year’s release…
- Rereading: In effort to justify my full price book purchases I make and keep I have the rule to reread a book or series each year.
- Weeding: Every once in a while we need to reevaluate the books in our home libraries. Sometimes a series finishes or our taste change or we simply move on. When that happens we need to weed those books from our shelves to make room for new titles we love.
- ARCS: When I started this blog I went a little ARC crazy over at Net Galley and requested way more than I should have. I have a feeling this is something every new blogger does. After a while, like point one with challenges, it sucked all the fun out of reading and I decided to make some rules. I try to keep my ARC requests to authors I already read or those few titles that are simply too hard to resist.
- Current Read: Some people can read multiple books at once. I am not one of those people. I don’t like to start a new story when I am reading another. The only exception I make is for audio books or NF titles. Otherwise I stick to one book at a time.
There you have some of my reading rules. What rules or habits do you have when it comes to reading?