Welcome to another contribution to the wildly popular Top Ten Tuesday hosted by The Broke and The Bookish. This week they ask us to share lists on the following:
February 28: On hiatus (so I made up my own).
The good people over at The Broke and The Bookish have decided to take a much-earned break from creating Top Ten Tuesday topics for the next two weeks so I have decided to create my own to share with you each week. My first topic came about from the fact that I have been recovering from surgery for the past five weeks and have not read nearly as books in that time as I had hoped to. So this week I am going to give you ten reasons why I’m not reading… Piss poor as they might be.
Ten Reasons I’m Not Reading…
- YouTube: This is the main reason I am not reading. We all do it log on and say I’m just going to watch one video while I eat and then get to work, or reading in my case. Three hours later you have watched dozens of videos and wonder where the day went… I need to learn to just avoid this website altogether.
- The Young Turks: This is the main channel I watch when I visiting excuse number one. I admit it. My name is Amy and I am a political and news junkie. I feel this obsessive need to be informed and actually pay attention to what is going on in this country. I have also been known to call my Senators and yell at their staff. (Maybe not yell so much as call them out on the bullshit (although I have almost broken down in tears as I pleaded with them to save ACA so patients like me with Cancer don’t lose health insurance))
- FaceBook: I also have spent way too many hours sharing videos from one and two and checking up on my feed on Facebook. I think I need to just not turn on the computer until I have a few hours of reading done.
- The Sims 3: When I knew I was looking at possibly six weeks of recovery from my hysterectomy I decided to reinstall my favorite and only computer game. Yep, maybe that was a mistake.
- Kittens: So if I do manage to not turn on the laptop there are still these three cuties that distract me to no end. Meet Sabi, Zoe, and Lulu aren’t they cute (when asleep). It isn’t all fun and games, though, they are currently in the rebellious teen years of kittenhood and I spend half of my time pulling them off curtains and stopping them from poking holes in plastic…
- Bifocals: I still do not have these yet and it is just getting harder and harder to focus on the words on the page. Time to buck up and make an appointment. Maybe after I learn how much my surgery is going to cost.
- Sleep: Isn’t my new bedding pretty. I used to be able to read into the wee hours of the night, now I find myself falling asleep after about 20 minutes if I read in bed, or on the couch…
- Changing Taste: I still think my reading taste has changed. I am losing a little of my love of romance and find myself drawn to sci-fi and urban fantasy more. Time to stop fighting it.
- Hot Flashes: Menopause sucks. I am experiencing anywhere from 15-30 hot flashes a day. As soon as I find myself settled down to read the heat hits me and I have to stop and adjust my layering. A good part of my day revolves around taking off and putting on clothes. It disrupts my reading flow and is highly annoying.
- : Lastly, I’m simply not making it a priority. I am allowing everything above affect my reading. Some are valid reasons some are simply me wasting time. Basically, it all comes back to me. I am the reason I am not reading more and I take complete responsibility.
So what stops you from reading? Share in the comments.