Welcome to another contribution to the wildly popular Top Ten Tuesday hosted by The Broke and The Bookish. This week they ask us to share lists on the following:
January 17: Ten Underrated/Hidden Gem Books I’ve Read In The Past Year Or So
Since I did not read nearly as many books as I had hoped to last year I have a smaller pool of books to pick from for this list than I might like. Because I was not reading as much last year many of the books I did read were more popular titles so I am going to have to define what underrated means for this list. Okay, so for my selection I am going to pick books with under 10,000 ratings on Goodreads that I gave a four or five-star review.
Ten books that I feel more people should try.
- 135 Ratings: This happens to be my favorite indie author and it is so difficult for independent authors to publicise their books and often they simply don’t get the attention they deserve. This is the second book in this author’s science fiction series and is even better than the first! Go check it out.
- 331 Ratings: Now this is quite a popular author and this book just came out on December 31 so the reason it might have so few ratings is that it is simply too new. It also might have something to do with the fact that it is a book of short stories which sometimes are not as popular as full length stories.
- 467 Ratings: This was a new spin-off series from the popular Vampires of America series and was an amazing read. Again not an indie author per se but one from a smaller publishing house that does not have the resources to put into as large a publicizing campaign as one of the bigger publishing houses. Excellent author I highly recommend checking her out.
- 474 Ratings: This a fairly well known romance author I believe but her supernatural series just doesn’t seem to get the loving it deserves. In my opinion this series is even better than her vampire one.
- 1,762 Ratings: Another short story collection by an established science fiction author, I think. I listened to this book in audio format and found it quite entertaining.
- 1,958 Ratings: Ms. Warren is what I consider a popular romance author. I was surprised to see that this book had so few ratings. I quite enjoyed this first book of the series but decided to not continue after DNF the third title. The first one is worth a shot, though, especially if you are a fan of her other work
- 5,881 Ratings: This book was truly a hidden gem waiting for me at my library. I decided to borrow it on a whim and absolutely loved it! I have recently acquired all the remaining books in the series and plan to binge read them sometime this year.
- 6,827 Ratings: What!?! How can it be that Ms. Jones’s latest book only has that many ratings? I am blown away by that as I thought this was a much more popular series. It could be that paranormal books are going out of fashion or some of the readers are getting series fatigue but if you had previously given up on this world I would recommend giving it another shot as some of the magic from earlier books has returned to recent releases.
- 8,479 Ratings: This is the second book in the Dirty Job series (?) an I found it just as entertaining as the first. If you enjoyed book one then I hope you decide to give this one a try too.
- 9,117 Ratings: If you are into political conspiracies and just a tad anti-establishment that you won’t want to miss this series, or at least the first book… This one is just under my requirement for this list but I think with the current political environment we find ourselves in it might be time for this trilogy to make a comeback.
Well there you have my list for the week of books I consider underrated. I hope that you give some of them a try and feel free to share what books you think didn’t get the attention they deserved in the comments.