Welcome to another contribution to the wildly popular Top Ten Tuesday hosted by The Broke and The Bookish. This week they ask us to share lists on the following:
November 22: Thanksgiving freebie — tell us what you are thankful for! Books you are thankful for!
Since I missed last week due to being busy I didn’t want to miss this week’s list as well, so I am carving out time to quickly write-up the reasons I am thankful that I am a reader, even if I haven’t been reading as much as I want to recently…
Ten reasons I’m thankful that I’m a reader.
- Escape: Books are the perfect escape from life, from stress, from responsibility. This is probably the main reason I am a reader. It is also the reason I read the books I tend to read. I want to explore new ideas, new concepts of reality, deal with problems that couldn’t occur in my normal day-to-day life. I want to leave my world behind and find some place else to hide out for a few hours.
- Mood Changer: Feeling sad? Depressed? Lonely? Reading has the power to help lift you out of your current mood and totally change your attitude. Pick up a fluffy romance to brighten your day. Or something heavier to reassure you that your problems could be much worse. A sappy tear-jerker so you can finally cry it all out and move on with your life. Books have to power to help you express what you are feeling inside.
- Hope: Books can also inspire, help remind you of just how great society can be. They can show you a world that could be, something to shoot for, a goal for the life you want to build.
- Empathy: Reading fiction also makes you more empathetic. It lets you try on someone else’s shoes for a bit and gain a new perspective on life.
- Vocabulary: Now I don’t always demonstrate this, but I love how reading expands one’s vocabulary. Something that often irks non-readers to no end. I’m not using ‘big’ words to make you feel bad (okay, maybe a bit…), mostly though I just like using a rich and diverse vocabulary to express myself. I tend to go through words of the moment, thought, where suddenly start using the same word everywhere, on Facebook, the blog, Instagram, emails… Sometimes repetitively in the same post even. I’m trying to break myself of that but often it slips my notice, so sorry.
- No commercials: Books are entertainment without commercials, without interruption, portable, no batteries necessary (for print versions).
- Never Bored: If you are a reader you are never bored. (reading slump exceptions aside). If you have access to books you can always find some book to fit your current mood.
- Relaxation: Reading is a great way to relax. Goes along with number one on this list, but if I can’t get some reading in my stress levels just keep going up. I need some time in the pages to unwind and let everything go. Reading is my me-time.
- Interesting: I also believe that reading makes you a more interesting person. It for all the reasons above and more. Reading opens you up to new ideas and topics. Reading helps round out a personality and can give you a passion that you can share with the world.
- Friendship: While reading tends is an activity that is done alone it can also lead to great friendships. Books help us break down barriers and find connection with others that share our love and interest. Even if you don’t read the same you can still bond over the love of reading. Reading, blogging, and reviewing has helped me form friendships that I might not have otherwise and for that I will forever be immensely grateful.
Happy Thanksgiving! Happy Reading.