Welcome to another contribution to the wildly popular Top Ten Tuesday hosted by The Broke and The Bookish. This week they ask us to share lists on the following:
May 17: Ten Books I Picked Up On A Whim (however you decide to interpret that (bought or read or something else) — I know most people read based on recommendation but we want to know those books you picked up without really hearing about or knowing much about!)
I actually think this week’s idea is rather interesting. So often we search out, or at least I do, the next book we want to read after some (sometimes a lot…) of research. I’m in the mood for this or so and do keeps talking about this title I’ve got to get my hand on it or series we need to continue, a subject we need to learn more about, etc. Most of the time for me there is a lot of thought that went into what I am going to read next. Since starting to blog that usually means ‘Oh crap that ARC is coming out next week, I better get on it’ sort of moments. Every once in a while though I pick up a title for no other reason than it looks interesting. So that is the criteria for this week’s list. These are ten books I picked up simply because they caught my eye. I’ll explain why after each title.
Ten books that I read on a whim
- Now don’t laugh (or judge…), but this is a book I picked up on a whim. I was new to my librarian job and had been living under a rock, so I knew nothing of the Twilight mania that was going on. It was around the time of the last book release and we could not keep this series on the shelf. One Friday Twilight was returned and there wasn’t a name on the waiting list (for once) so with 15 minutes left on my shift I started book one. Preceded to devour the entire series in a week and I’ve been a vampire lover ever since. So you have this little gem to thank for my current reading taste.
- This was a recent whim from the Blogging for Books program where I needed to request a new book and didn’t want something NF. This was billed as Sci-Fi so I gave it a shot. It is actually an interesting read and I’m glad I picked it.
- This was an audio book whim. I was looking at an afternoon of yard work and wanted something to listen to so I didn’t feel guilty for not reading. I really enjoyed this fun(ny) book and look forward to reading the rest of the books in the series.
- I picked this title up, not having read the main author’s other work, when I needed something to check out from the library to read for an open reading group (no assigned book, just read something from the library and come share). It wasn’t too bad, I enjoyed the story within a story concept. Haven’t read anything else by either author, but that’s alright.
- This was an ILL book that was returned by one of my library patrons. Being that I live on a farm and actually raise sheep I starting poking through it. I read it myself before returning it to the lending library. Fun for a NF that I wouldn’t have sought out myself.
- The cover of this book caught my eye along with the title. I was not familiar with the author, though I have read another book by her since then, and loved the concept of this book along with part of it was set in Turkey. I believe it also was a stand alone that I wish was a series.
- This book was a whim of a suggestion for purchase at our library. The cover looked interesting and the synopsis as well. It was a good call because I thoroughly enjoyed this read.
- Another title that I picked up in a clearance section because it was 1) cheap 2) pretty and 3)sounded interesting. I ended up donating it to my library after I read it. Haven’t continued on, but I don’t regret reading it either.
- This one was purchased for the library and looked interesting and short while I was cataloging, so I read it one quiet afternoon (really short) before putting it out on the shelf.
- Oh yes, this highly pimped book (on this blog) was one that I picked up on a whim. I was new to the Blogging for Books program and was looking for something interesting to request and this one stood out among the fiction titles and the rest is history.
So I didn’t share with you some of the books I didn’t like that I tried on a whim, decided to stay positive instead. Also it might be that the ones I DNF don’t get saved to my Goodreads account and I forget what they were, need to change that system… Anyway I hope you enjoyed this list and give some of them a try if you haven’t already. Why not share in the comments what titles you read on a whim, or links to your own list! Happy Reading~Amy