Welcome to another contribution to the wildly popular blog meme Top Ten Tuesday hosted by The Broke and The Bookish. This week they ask us to share lists on:
March 8: Ten Characters Everyone Loves But I Just Don’t Get or Ten Characters I LOVE But Others Seem To Dislike
This week I decided to go negative, seemed fitting for the mood I’ve been in lately. So I am going to share with you ten characters from books that I just don’t care for. I know many of them are super-duper popular, but I just can’t stand them or at the very least feel a mild disdain… Shall we begin.
Ten Characters of which I am simply not a fan.
- Harry Dresden: I knew pretty quickly into the first book that I thought Harry had the annoying personality of as awkward 12-year-old. I hung on for one and a half books because he is so damn popular. In the end I just couldn’t do it and had to face facts that I just didn’t like Harry and would not be reading this series.
- All of them…: I thought most of the characters in this series were stuck up busy bodies who either looked down their noses upon everyone else or where scheming to raise their status in society. Quite frankly none of these characters were good examples of human beings no mater what century they are from.
- Returning favorites: I was actually a fan of the Blue Blood’s series and was satisfied with how it ended. I guess I should have left well enough alone because I did not care for how many of the characters ended up in this spin-off. Oh well I tried and DNF.
- Merit and Ethan: These two are ironic because I actually really love these two now. I added them to the list because it took me like four books to bond with them. I didn’t care for Merit’s self loathing in the earlier books and Ethan was just annoying now he’s dreamy go figure. Sometimes it pays to stick with it, but most of the time not.
- Paige Mahoney: I read the first book in this series and wasn’t excited about it or the main character. Should have listen to my instinct and walked away then, but no I continued into the second book which bored me to pieces and now I’m done for good. Paige just wasn’t a strong enough personality to keep me around.
- Teen characters in general…: This book has come to represent my departure from YA level books. I’m just too old to relate to this age group of characters in most cases. It was fun while it lasted, but now I want a story with more meat on its bones or in the very least more sex.
- Elena: Another series I tried that everyone seems to love or loved because it isn’t a very current series. My main problem is I just didn’t care for Elena. I do not like when the main character does not like themselves, and Elena has a huge chip on her shoulder about being a werewolf. Now it might be justified, but I just don’t want to be stuck in their head. I’m still debating about continuing on, it isn’t looking good as more time passes from when I finished this one.
- Most of them: I did not write a review for this book, it must have been read before I started reviewing. I vaguely remember not liking the main character and then when I found out the relationship between the two main “love” interests I was like that’s it I’m out. It might have changed in the next book, but I was grossed out enough not to continue.
- Stephanie: The problem I have with Stephanie is related to the audio book. I needed to listen to it at work and the person they picked to read the story just got on my nerves. I could not take so many hours of listening to her voice which must fall in the range of frequencies that drives me nuts because I have absolute no interest in continuing this series no matter how funny it might be.
- Myfanwy: Yes that is the main character’s first name. That is one of many points that lead me to DNF this book. The main character was all over the place and most of her problem was she was super annoying or super boring. I tried, like 250 pages tried, this book is not for me. It is nowhere near as clever as it thinks it is.
Well there you have my list this week. What characters are you not a fan of that others seem to adore?