Welcome to another contribution to the wildly popular blog meme, Top Ten Tuesday hosted by The Broke and The Bookish. This week they ask us to share lists on:
February 23: Ten Book I Enjoyed Recently (last yearish) That Weren’t My Typical Genre/Type of Book (or that was out of your comfort zone)
Now I don’t usually read outside of my favorite genres hence the name of my blog, Read What I Like. So I was surprised to see so many books outside my norm that made it to my read list last year. I even had books to spare for this week’s list. Let’s jump to it and see what atypical books I read last year.
Ten atypical reads of the last year.
- Choose Your Own Autobiography : This book is atypical for me because I’m not a huge non-fiction reader and I can’t remember ever reading a biography outside of what was required in grade school when doing a report. I actually enjoyed this book and plan to pick up other biographies of people I’m interested in.
- Instant Happy Journal: This was a physical review book I requested through the Blogging for Books program. I picked it because there weren’t any fiction books I was interested in at the time. It is a nice little book and I thought I would give journaling a try this year. That hasn’t happen, but it is still sits there on the coffee table waiting…
- The Goldfinch: This book won the Pulitzer in 2015 which makes it an atypical read for me because I don’t read a lot of books that are considered big L literature. It was also one of the few audio books that I listened to last year. It wasn’t bad, but I don’t think I will be seeking out more of these types of books.
- The Returned: This book was one of the first Trek fiction books that I read last year. I’ve read plenty since, but this was my first dip into the genre. I’ve enjoyed the read and have read several since and plan to read more in my regular rotation.
- The Strange Library: This is an atypical read for me because I tend to not read a lot of translated books by foreign authors. I read this book for a challenge and didn’t care for it very much.
- The Grownup: This was another physical review book through the Blogging for Books program. Four of the books on this list were from that program. This was a quick little read and atypical for me as it is considered horror and by a popular author that I have shied away from. It wasn’t bad, but I haven’t been motivated to jump into another of her books.
- The Bees: This was an atypical read for me, or listen because I borrowed the audio book from the library. While I am an animal lover I don’t read a ton of books with animals, beyond shifters, as the main characters. This was an alright book, but didn’t encourage me to seek out more like it.
- Cat vs Human: This was a Read Now book from Net Galley. Looked cute and being a cat lover I decided to download it. It is atypical for me as I am not usually a fan of poetry.
- The Diary of Adam and Eve: This was one of the “classics” that I tried for a reading challenge last year. I have to say that this one was more to my taste and even encouraged me to add more of Twain’s books to my to-read list. Haven’t gotten to them, but there are there and eventually when I’m feeling like I should be reading something more intellectual I’ll turn to one of those and hopefully I’ll enjoy it.
- Whatever is Lovely: This was one of the adult coloring books that I reviewed last year. It wasn’t really to my taste, but it is still a beautiful book. I am currently holding a giveaway (that ends tomorrow!) for this book. You can enter on my Giveaway page.
There you have my list for the week. What atypical books did you read last year?