Welcome to another contribution to the wildly popular blog meme Top Ten Tuesday. This week they ask us to share lists on:
August 18: Top Ten Of Your Auto-buy Authors (no matter the genre or what it’s about…you’ll buy it from these authors!). If you want to get specific you can break it into genre especially since I know we did this topic in 2013.
There are authors whose books I auto-buy, probably too many. I limit it to my favorite authors of series I know I will read again. There are different circumstances and exceptions of course, but probably only a handful of authors that I will buy their new book, most of the others I collect I try to wait until I can pick the book up second-hand. Then there is a whole other class of authors that I auto-request over at Net Galley. I would and often do buy their books, but quite often I receive them for review even before they are published.
My auto-buy authors
First grouping: Auto-Buy new releases, usually the week they come out.
1 .Sherrilyn Kenyon: Format: Print and/or E-Book. Any Book. If you didn’t see this one coming you’ve not been here long. Now even Ms. Kenyon fell victim to my book-buying-ban earlier this year. I didn’t pick up the next copy in her League series when it came out because I wasn’t going to be able to fit it into my reading rotation any time soon, so I decided to wait and maybe pick it up in a sale bin or second-hand closer to when I would read it. Then I went and met her at the signing and ended up paying full retail…totally worth it. She does have one series that I don’t collect. Her Chronicles of Nick series is carried at my library. I have not made up my mind if I will be adding those books to my home collection (just another example that I am losing interest in YA).
2. Jacqueline Rhoades: Format: E-books. Any Book. Confession time. I regularly review new releases for this author, so I’ve not bought a book of hers in a while. She is still on my auto-buy list though and if she ever doesn’t request a review from me I am going to be there on release day with my laptop and a credit card over at B&N.
3. Darynda Jones:Format: Print. Charley Davidson Series. Sometimes I have trouble finding this author in the stores, mainly because she is so popular that the books sold out and the local stores just didn’t order enough copies to have on had release week. So this is an author I have been known to hunt down like a lion stalking a gazelle.
4. J.R. Ward: Format: Print. Black Dagger Brotherhood Series Only. This author could move off of my auto buy. Right now I’m mainly buying the books out of habit because I have all the others in the series. I might move her into the auto-buy second-hand class of authors I collect. She has a new spin-off Black Dagger Brotherhood series starting this winter though and that book will be mine.
There you have all the authors that I will auto-buy new releases of their books. Next group of authors are ones where I will auto-buy their books second-hand or in the discount bin at a bookstore. Still books I want to collect, but I can wait a bit to save some money.
5. Jeaniene Frost: Format: Paper, E-book, & Net Galley Auto-Request. Any Book. Love this author and I have quite a few of her books on hand in print and on my Nook. I’m still searching for a few that I am missing, but I’ll buy her books second-hand and hope that I don’t already own it.
6. Lynsay Sands: Format: Paper & E-Book. Argeneau Series Only. This author move from the top section of this list to the second-hand auto-buy because I was not loving the direction of her series. After enjoying the last two books of her Argeneau series I’m thinking I might move her back up in priority. Most of the time you can pick up her new release in PB for like $5.
7. Patricia Brigs: Format: Paper & Net Galley Auto-Request. Mercy Thompson and Alpha & Omega series only. This author I was introduced to through review requests. I often get her new releases for review through Net Galley so I’ve decided to wait and pick up her books for my collection second-hand. If I didn’t receive a review copy of her latest release I would probably still wait and buy her book second-hand.
8. Katie MacAlister: Format: Paper. Dragon and Dark Ones series only. Love this author and I am always turned down by the publisher to review her books through Net Galley. Probably why I don’t feel bad about waiting to pick up her books used.
9. Dianne Duvall: Format E-Books & Net Galley Auto-Request. Immortal Guardians series. This author is quickly becoming one of my favorites. Her main series reminds me a lot of the Dark-Hunter series by Kenyon. I’ve been approved for review books for the last few releases so I’ve not picked up the latest copies of her books, but I am going to need to check out her new series soon!
10. Lara Adrian: Format: E-Book. Midnight Breed Series. This author is another that I pick up review books pretty regularly through Net Galley. I don’t think I saw her latest release there though, so I’m going to need to get my hands on a copy of that one.
13 hours and counting to enter the giveaway for the Signed Dragonbane by Sherrilyn Kenyon!
Open to United States and Canadian residence only! Visit the Giveaway tab at the top of the screen for more details.