Welcome to another contribution to the wildly popular blog meme, Top Ten Tuesday! This week they ask:
July 28: Ten Characters Who Are Fellow Book Nerds (love reading, are writers, work at a bookstore, etc.)
This week’s list should be fairly easy as writers tend to be book lovers too and often make a lead characters that share the personality trait. So this may be a matter of weeding down to just ten choices. I’m going to do my best to search out some that might not be on other’s lists. Some characters like Hermione from Harry Potter are going to pop up on a lot of lists, so I’m going to try to dig up some you might not know about or remember.
Ten Bookish Characters
- Celaena Sardothien: This is a character that spend quite a bit of time in the library and reads for not only pleasure but for research and to judge others on the measure of their own character based upon what they read.
“Libraries were full of ideas–perhaps the most dangerous and powerful of all weapons.” & “No. I can survive well enough on my own— if given the proper reading material.”
- Tyrion Lannister: Perhaps my favorite “bad-guy” from any of the series I read! Could be he gets that marvelouswit from all the reading he does.
“My brother has his sword, King Robert has his warhammer and I have my mind…and a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone if it is to keep its edge. That’s why I read so much Jon Snow.”
- Merit: This character was studying English Lit at a Chicago college when she was turned into a vampire. Good thing Ethan had such an impressive book collection to help win her over.
“Say what you had to about Ethan, but the boy filled a library very, very well. Okay—arguably, that wasn’t the only thing he filled out well, but let’s stay on track.”
- Diana Bishop & Matthew Clairmont: Both Diana and Matthew have a deep appreciation for literature and old books. They did meet in a library after all!
“We don’t lock up books in this house,” Philippe said, “only food, ale, and wine. Reading Herodotus or Aquinas seldom leads to bad behavior.”
- Anastasia Steele: Now stop rolling your eyes at this pick and no need to leave negative comments either… Ana was also studying English Lit when she meet Mr. Grey.
“If you were mine” Oh my what would I do to be his? He’s the only man who has ever set the blood racing through my body. Yet he’s so antagonizing too; he’s difficult, complicated, and confusing. One minute he rebuffs me, the next he sends me fourteen thousand dollar books, then tracks me like a stalker.”
- Jane Jameson: This character was fired from the library to end up owning a book store in this fun series.
“You can take the girl out of the library, but you can’t take the neurotic, compulsively curious librarian out of the girl.”
- Henry DeTamble: Henry works in a library in Chicago and some day I am going to go see for myself the cage he ends up stuck in during this story.
“I have a sort of Christmas-morning sense of the library as a big box full of beautiful books.”
- Robert Langdon: This is almost too easy, Langdon is a stereotypical bookish professor that uses all that learned information to solve the puzzles and save the day.
“The Bible did not arrive by fax from heaven. The Bible is the product of man, my dear. Not of God. The Bible did not fall magically from the clouds. Man created it as a historical record of tumultuous times, and it has evolved through countless translations, additions, and revisions. History has never had a definitive version of the book.”
- Lucern Argeneau: This character isan author, chronicling his family’s history for prosperity and the paranormal romance loving book market.
“ ‘Dear Mr. Argeneau,'” she began. ” ‘I haven’t read Love Bites, One, but I will, I guarantee it. I just finished Love Bites, Two, and thought it was wonderful. Etienne was so sweet and funny and sexy that I fell in love with him even as Rachel did. He’s my dream man.'” Kate paused and glanced up expectantly. “What would you say to those letters?” That was easy enough. “Etienne is taken.”
- Tori (Soteria Eleni Athena Kafieri): Couldn’t leave my favorite author off the list this close to going to meet her at a book signing could I. Tori is Ash’s romantic interest and is a very bookish type personality, her character profile on the Dark Hunter site lists her favorite pasting is reading Ancient Greek…
“They didn’t have novels back then. (Tory) History says they didn’t have books, yet what’s this thing in my hand? It’s square, bound paper that’s been written on. Looks like a book to me. (Acheron)Thank you, Captain Sarcasm. How nice of you to join us again. (Tory)”
Well this week’s list was harder than I thought it would be. Mainly because I forgot which series contained the bookish characters and which didn’t. Still pretty solid list I think. Took a bit longer than I expected too thanks to the bright idea of looking up character quotes to go along with the selections. I look forward to seeing all your picks! Happy Reading.