Welcome to another contribution to the wildly popular blog meme Top Ten Tuesday. This week they ask us to share lists on:
May 19: Top Ten Tuesday Freebie — YOUR CHOICE OF TOPIC.
I only have a few minutes to type up a post so instead of searching my to-read or read shelf over at Goodreads I thought I would share a different type of list this week that I can hopefully get publishes in a few minutes cause my chore list is awfully long today…
Ten things that are robbing me of reading time!
- Yard work: This is the main one today. Thanks to a wild parsnip infestation my mowing area has doubled this year! The whole thing takes me now 4-5 hours once a week to mow costing me about 250 pages.
- Gardening: I know this could fall under yard work, but the veggie garden which has the same footprint as our house has become my sole responsibility this year, yet I still can’t plant the tomatoes where I want to… This beast takes up a lot of time each year with planting, weeding, and then processing the produce. Love the hobby, but it is one of the reasons I have taken up audio books this spring. Then there is the flower gardens, but beyond a few new plants to add they are more self-sufficient.
- Animal care: I love my critters, but this time of year means the sheep (and llamas this year) have to be sheared, the peacocks have been hormonal nightmares, and I have a barn that hasn’t had a thorough cleaning in forever!
- Summer Reading Program: Alright this is more of a work thing, but it still takes up time in my off hours too. Granted the program I run is pretty simple, but it still consumes quite a bit of my attention starting in May.
- Yard Sale: This year the spousal unit and I have decided to hold a yard sale to get rid of a ton of crap we don’t need or want anymore. This lead to a cleaning of the house and then the marking of items, and soon two days of my time while I run the blasted thing. Never again! In the future everything is getting loaded up and taken to Goodwill.
- TV and Movies: This is a pretty lame excuse, but the season finales and our new Netflix streaming account have been eating up time as I am finding myself watching more programs. This happens quite a bit now that the husband is home while I am awake, he likes to listen to music or whatever on YouTube and I need quite to concentrate. It seems more and more rather than fight it by putting in ear plugs I am just tuning into my own program to watch in the living room. L.A.M.E. I need to turn it off and just bleeping read!
- The Sims Freeplay: This is another lame excuse not to read. When I got my new Samsung Nook I downloaded this free game and now I have to check in and tell little imaginary people what to do several times a day. I need to just step away cause this is a major time suck! But then I think of them all not having their needs fulfilled and I log back on and make sure they are ok. I have reached to point where my little Sims are aging now and I am thinking of as they die off not replacing them. Eventually I will be able to break away from this black hole of lost time.
- Bicycle: I actually wish this one was higher up on the list. Riding my bike is the only exercise I enjoy and with the cold and wind I haven’t been able to ride as much as I like this spring. I’m hoping for some warmer days soon where I can get in some more rides. I’ve been so lazy lately.
- Facebook: This is a time waster that will probably never go away. I spend so much time over there, running several pages and sharing clever little antidotes about the critter’s lives and reading. Of course besides the blog it is my main source of social interaction and networking, so lets call it a necessary evil that I won’t be weaning myself from anytime soon.
- Myself: I seem to be going through a reading slump lately. I think I am getting burnt out on some of the genres I enjoy reading. I just haven’t seemed to be excited for a series or stand-alone read in a long time. I miss that thrill of getting lost in a new world to explore. I want to find something fresh and new so that I can’t wait to pick up that book see what happens next. I want to find a series or author that makes me say to hell with all the chores I NEED to read NOW!
Well there is my list of things that are keeping me from reading right now. How about you? What is keeping your nose out of a book?