Welcome to another contribution to the wildly popular blog meme, Top Ten Tuesday. This week they ask us to share lists on:
April 21: Top Ten ALL TIME Favorite Authors
My spin on this week’s list is that I am going to share with you my favorites from each genre I read, kinda a top ten of all #1’s. Paranormal is going to be broken down into three spots because it is the bulk of what I read. There is also the potential for a lot of crossover in my selections, but it is my list so I am going to put them where I feel they fit best. All author’s names are linked to their Goodread’s profile page.
Ten of my favorite authors for each of the genres I read.
- Paranormal (Vamps): Jeaniene Frost – Most know for her Night Huntress series, Ms Frost is an excellent world builder. Her books could also fall under the Urban Fantasy and Romance genre too. So far I’ve enjoyed all of her series that I’ve tried. If you aren’t sick of vamps yet, give this author a try.
- Paranormal (Shifters): Patricia Briggs – Author of the Mercy Thompson series and its spin-off Alpha & Omega series. Not into vamps, how about shape-shifters or werewolves. This author’s books could also crossover into Urban Fantasy with a bit of romance kicked in. This author has some great characters and a complex world to get lost in.
- Paranormal (Angels): Darynda Jones– Author of the Charley Davidson series. This is one seriously talented writer, expertly blending humor, drama, steamy romance and an epic good vs evil plot. Ms. Jones also gave us Reyes Farrow and we are eternally grateful for her contribution to book boyfriends everywhere.
- Urban Fantasy: Sherrilyn Kenyon – Probably best know for her Dark-Hunter world, she also writes sci-fi, YA paranormal, historical romance and contemporary fiction. If I had to pick one author on my list as my absolute favorite, Ms. Kenyon is it. I’ve read more than 50 of her books and I can count on one hand the number of books that didn’t work for me. Give her Dark Hunter world a try, I bet you become hooked!
- Fantasy: George R.R. Martin – Okay, so I’ve only read three of his books, but out of all the high-fantasy book’s I’ve read his are my favorite. He sold me on the genre and I find myself looking for other authors to try. There is a reason his books are so popular, don’t let the page count intimidate you, give them a try they are worth the effort.
- Indie author: Jacqueline Rhoades – I wanted to give special recognition to indie authors on the list. Ms. Rhoades could have easily made this list in any of the paranormal or romance genres, but she deserves recognition for all her hard work as an author without a publishing house to back her up. It is not easy to write, edit and market a book by yourself and I so admire what Ms. Rhoades has accomplished. She is such a talented storyteller and I hope you give one of her paranormal or contemporary books a try. She is working on her first sci-fi book and I can’t wait to see what she does with that genre!
- Dystiopian: M.D. Waters – Author of the Archetype series. Okay, I’ve only read a few books by this author, but loved what I read so far. I hope we have many more excellent reads from this new author.
- Sci-Fi: Andy Weir – Yes, the love-fest of The Martian continues… I’ve read some of his self-published/posted short stories and this man is seriously talented. I can’t wait to see what he writes next.
- Romance: Molly Harper – Best know for her Jane Jameson series and Half-Moon Hollow spin-off series this is a fun paranormal romance author. Her humor and outrageous situations are a hoot, and they are the perfect books to get lost in when you need something to make you happy.
- YA: Sarah J. Maas – This is the Throne of Glass series author, and while I’ve only read one book and a handful of novellas she has quickly become my favorite author of YA level fiction. Such a great read!
Alright, now some of these authors are not my favorite-favorites, but I didn’t want to put Kenyon in four different spots (and I could have). All of the names I mentioned above have written books that I would recommend to anyone that expressed interest in that genre. They wrote books I got excited about, worlds I want to revisit and characters that became my friends. I hope you look into their work and let me know what you think!