Welcome to another contribution to the wildly popular blog meme, Top Ten Tuesday. This week they ask us to share:
April 14: Top Ten Inspiring Quotes from Books (anything that inspires you, challenges you, makes you think, encourages you, etc.)
This should be a fun week of lists. Here are ten of my favorite quotes from books and/or authors.
- “Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened.” -Dr. Seuss: I’ve lost most of my family and numerous pets. This helps remind me to remember the love.
- “You cannot protect yourself from sadness without protecting yourself from happiness.” -Jonathan Safran Foer: This quote for the same reason.
- “Just because you can doesn’t mean you should.” -Sherrilyn Kenyon: I’ve always loved these words of wisdom that Acheron often shares.
- “It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.”-J.K. Rowlings from Harry Potter and the Chamber off Secrets: This is a great reminder to make choices for the greater good. That we can be anyone we want to be, so choose to be someone you respect.
- “Friendship is born at that moment when one man says to another: “What! You too? I thought that no one but myself…” – C.S. Lewis, The four Loves: This is one of the reasons I love social media and over-sharing. When we are honest and share how we truly feel it makes others realize they are not the only one and helps bring the world closer together. Creates empathy.
- “Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.” – George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones: This is such an important thing to keep in mind. If we learn to accept ourselves and love our personality, body, everything about ourselves no one can use that to make us feel bad about ourselves.
- “Fear cuts Deeper than Swords.” – George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones: Often the fear of something is so much worse than the actual thing or event we fear.
- “That took balls.” “Please,” I said with a snort, “that took ovaries. Of which I have two.” -Darynda Jones, First Grave on the Right: Had to throw some fun ones on the list. This is one of my favorites from the Charley Davidson series.
- “Yes, of course duct tape works in a near-vacuum. Duct tape works anywhere. Duct tape is magic and should be worshiped.” -Andy Weir, The Martian: Another fun one from an excellent fun read.
- “Winter is Coming.” George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones: This is such a great reminder to be prepared.
This list was more difficult than I thought, mainly because it was so hard to pick just ten! What are your favorite quotes?