Thursday Thoughts: Bookish Project Results


I actually finished this project on Monday, but I haven’t done a Thursday Thoughts post and a while, so I saved the pictures to share for today.  I was telling you on Monday about my plans for a bookish project involving my walls and destruction of good reading material.  Without further adieu, here is the results…

Bookish Wallpaper

Click on pictures to open gallery and see more descriptions.

First off I this project cost me a whopping $0, only what ever my time is worth because I had everything already on hand, even the supplies to make glue!


  • I used a beautiful (but non-valuable)  weeded book on North American Birds.
  • a straight edge
  • razor blade
  • scissors
  • paint brush
  • some sort of decal applying tool that I have no idea where it came from
  • plastic putty knife
  • corn starch
  • water
  • picture frame
  • nails
  • hammer
  • rags
  • various kitchen supplies (pot, measuring, tub, fork, etc)

First step: Take apart the book.  

I did not remember to take pictures until I already had the pages out, but cut along the spine with your razor blade to remove the meat of the book and then using a straight edge cut the pages.  I only needed it for the first cut after that I could freehand using the glued spine to guide the blade.

Second Step: Making Paste

Next came making the past to use for my ‘wallpaper’.  There are tons of recipes online you can use,  I use a corn starch paste recipe that I found at The Poor Sophisticate for my project because it was simple and I already had everything.  Being on a spending freeze I wanted to do this project as cheaply as possible and it also with the added benefit of being free of all the toxic smelly chemicals that comes with commercial paste.

Third Step: Paper the walls.

Next was what took the longest, like 7 hours all together to actually paper the walls.  Here is my work in progress… A note about the book you choose.  I noticed there were a lot of bubbles or wrinkles as I worked,  I thought it would look a mess when done, but it didn’t.  The paper pages, when dry, almost sucked or shrunk themselves down to the surface of the wall.  All wall imperfections were visible, our house is old the wall is cracked (but repaired) in a couple places, but the pages were perfect and super glued down to the wall.  The pictures of the birds on the other hand had a glossy finish to them and did not dry as perfect.  There are a couple of them that I will need to go in and repair.  They still look good, but were fussier to get right.  I could not be happier with the glue though.  It worked amazingly well, and this wall looks better than my kitchen where I used commercial paste.  I will be interested to see how it holds up.  I did give the pages a top-coat with the starch paste after they were up on the wall to seal them in.


Finished Wall & Thoughts

I loved the way this turned out.  I am already planning on more bookish walls in the house.  My kitchen is in desperate need of re-papering and I want to use old cookbooks for that room.  My husband loves airplanes and I think his office would look cool with one wall done in aviation pages.  My home library might someday be covered in the smutty text from old romance novels.  I hope you enjoyed the post and pictures and feel free to leave any question in the comments!


2 thoughts on “Thursday Thoughts: Bookish Project Results

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.