Welcome to another contribution to the wildly popular blog meme, Top Ten Tuesday, hosted by The Broke and The Bookish. This week they ask us to share:
February 24: Top Ten Favorite Heroines From Books (Or you could pick movies/tv): We’ve done this topic before so you could always do heroines you love since the last time we did this topic, heroines in a particular genre, etc.
I can’t remember if I’ve participated in this one or not, and being too lazy to go back an check my earlier posts, I’m just going to assume that I haven’t. As many of you know most of my favorite genres by now; paranormal, fantasy, urban fantasy, sci-fi, romance, and dystopian. All of these has the potential to host a pretty kick-ass heroine who can be a great example and break stereotypes of traditional roles women play in society. Not always, but in most of the books I read, at least. So here are some of my favorite female leads from the different series I enjoy.
My ten favorite kick-ass heroines.
- Merit from Chicagoland Vampires series: Took me several books to warm up to this character, but once I did she became one of my favorites. Need to return this series and see what happens next for the Chicago vamps.
- Rachel Morgan from The Hollows: This is now a finished series, but still oh so good. Rachel has a lot of problems, and trouble always seems to find her, but she is there for her friends and the little guy always trying to do the right thing. Lots of ups and downs but had a satisfying end.
- Charley from the Charley Davidson series: LOVE this girl. Her wit, sarcasm and the ability to take me from tears of mirth to sorrow in a single page is amazing. Reyes doesn’t hurt the appeal of this series either.
- Mercy from the Mercy Thompson series: Discovered this series last year and read them all in two weeks. Great world and great heroine.
- Ysabeau from All Soul’s Trilogy: While I love Diana, I think Ysabeau is such an interesting character and quite the kick-ass vamp. If I could have my wish, it would be that Ms. Harkness would write a spin-off series centered on her and Philippe’s life together.
- Daenerys from A Song of Ice and Fire series: LOVE this heroine. She started off pretty weak, but man by book three she has really come into her own. I so hope she ends up on the iron throne.
- Arya Stark from A Song of Ice and Fire: Was torn between these two for this series, so I decided to include both. Arya is such an interesting contrast to her sister and kinda the stereotypical tomboy, but I have enjoyed watching her progression through this war-torn world.
- Cat from Night Huntress series: Cat is pretty much the definition of a kick-ass heroine.
- Leila from Night Prince series: Leila really surprised me in the third book of this spin-off series. Ms. Frost put her through so much in this book and she came through it all and kept fighting.
- Kody from The Chronicles of Nick series: The latest release of this series gave us so much information on this character, I could hardly believe my eyes. Kody has such an interesting back-story and I so look forward to seeing how she develops in this world.