Welcome to another addition of the weekly meme hosted by The Broke and The Bookish. This week they ask us to share the top ten books to read if you like ________. Blank is to be a tv show, movie, play or some other form of entertainment besides a book. I have been viewing some of the other lists and it is nice to see that I’m not the only one struggling with this. My main problem is that I don’t watch a ton of movies or tv. I read. A lot. Currently I am only only actively following three shows; Big Bang Theory, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., and Once Upon A Time. None of these are similar to what I read, well maybe Once but I don’t think I could come up with 10 fantasy or books revolving around fairy tales. I’d pick a movie, but my movie taste and reading taste are different, basically I don’t watch a ton of paranormal movies. They tend to be a bit different than the books, more horror than romance. So I have decided to go with HBO’s True Blood that I watch through Netflix a season behind. As I’m sure many of you know it is based, loosely towards the end, on Charlaine Harris’s Sookie Stackhouse Series. So here we go folks, here is my list this week.
Top Ten Books to Read if You Enjoy HBO’s True Blood:
- Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris. Well duh. This is after all the series the show is based on. The books are so much better than the show, well until it all went to crap near the end. The only thing the book is missing is a yummy picture of Alexander Skarsgard on the cover and periodically spaced among the pages.
- Dark Lover by J.R.Ward. This is a great series, and while not as similar to True Blood as others on the list, I think you will like it. Lots of foul language, sex and action in this long run series.
- Moon Called by Patricia Briggs. This series is perhaps a better pick. There are similar elements in this series as to True Blood. A complex world filled with all kinds of different magical species and like True Blood it follows one female lead as she navigates this world that she somehow often finds her the center of.
- Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrison. This is another good pick, similar to #3. The series ends right around Labor day with the last book, The Witch With No Name, plenty of time to catch up before the grand finale. On a plus side I think this series is going to end better than the Stackhouse series.
- Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost. The structure of this world is a little different than the True Blood one, but if you are a fan of Eric Northman then you are going to love Bones.
- Night Pleasures by Sherrilyn Kenyon. This is just a great series and like J.R. Ward’s series is pretty different than True Blood, but I still think you will enjoy. It is a complex world full of great characters and plenty of story arches that is going to keep it going for many books to come.
- When Darkness Comes by Alexandra Ivy. This is another selection that includes a world similar to True Blood with many different types of supernatural creatures. There is some great humor and I love that it is based in Chicago/Midwest.
- Fated by Rebecca Zanetti. I’m fairly new to this series, but am enjoying it so far. I’m calling it my guilty pleasure, because there are elements to the story that I should just be appalled at, but aren’t. If you like the alpha elements of the Vampires in True Blood I think you will like this one too.
- Darkness Dawns by Dianne Duvall. These last two are mainly selections to round out the list. I think if you like all the others then you will probably like these too. They are however the least like True Blood on the list. This one was a surprise to me. I picked it up not thinking much about it, but it really struck a cord with me. Fans of Kenyon’s series really should give this one a try.
- Eternal Hunger by Laura Wright. This series is gritty and hot. The author is also fun to follow on Facebook. I wasn’t crazy about the last book, but have hopes that this series will continue to deliver.
Just a reminder I am hosting my first book giveaway! To enter just visit the giveaway page in the menu to the right, or click here and fill out an entry at the bottom of the page. I am giving away 4 copies of Lara Adrian’s first book in her Midnight Breed Series, Kiss of Midnight. This is another great series with a new book coming out in August. You have until 8:00 p.m. CT May 12,2014 to enter.