Welcome to another contribution to The Broke and the Bookish’s weekly blog meme. This week we are to share out top 10 books that were gateways for our reading journey. Many of these books have been featured already on other Top Ten Tuesday lists. I know I read in my youth, but struggle to remember specific books or authors that stand out before my discovery of Stephen King. Also while I read, I was nowhere near the book lover I am today. So I have decided to find titles that were my introduction to different genres of reading. Enjoy and I look forward to reading all of your lists as well.
- The Shining by Stephen King, was my introduction to horror novels and Stephen King, prior to my thinking him an ass, was the first author I was obsessed with. I read anything of his I could get my hands on.
- Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone by J.K. Rowlings is my reintroduction to reading for pleasure at the end of my college career. For several year if I was reading it was for a class, you know studying. This book also was an introduction to fantasy and the YA world of book that I now love.
- Twilight by Stephenie Meyer I have mentioned before as my gateway to the world of paranormal, especially vampires, and probably romance as well.
- The Time Machine by H.G.Wells. I struggled to come up with a book to represent my love of science fiction, not that you would know that with the typed of books I’ve read lately. I picked this book because this was all before the days of Goodreads and recording what I read, I simply selected books willy nilly…crazy I know, anyways, this is one of the first science fiction books I can remember reading.
- The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins is my introduction to the world of dystopian novels. I can’t say that is my favorite of the genre but it was my first.
- Blacklist by Sara Paretsky is my gateway to mystery or detective novels, granted most of the ones I read today have a paranormal aspect to them, but I still love a good PI novel.
- A Quick Bite by Lynsay Sands is my introduction to the lighter side of paranormal and fun, silly romance novels. Read for pure escapism when you need a good laugh and a happy ending.
- Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire. (Starting to struggle here…) This is my introduction to New Adult novel. They are fun reads, but essentially just YA with harsher language and more sex.
- Fifty Shaded of Grey by E.L. James. This is my introduction to the world of erotica novels or mommy porn as it is often labeled. I haven’t read many stories that fit into this genre, but have enjoyed the once I have. They are just edgier romance novels…
- Journey of Souls by Michael Newton. This is the gateway to my belief in reincarnation. I don’t read a lot of NF books, but seem to love ones about that topic. Might have something to do with the loss of my mother…
Well there you have my ten books. See you next week.